Thursday, September 23, 2010

No Sweat!

(disclaimer: the two pictures that I took of the sweater progress are poor quality, because I cannot find my camera and had to use my phone! boo)

So earlier this month I received 14 balls of yarn for my biggest project to date.

Now whether I end up using that many or not...I don't know... but it's better to be safe than sorry, right?

So what is this project, you ask? Well, I'm going to be making a sweater for my husband!

I'm modifying the pattern alittle, basically, I wanted to knit in the round, and every sweater I could find required knitting front and back separately and then seaming them together. Now I'm no sweater expert, so I don't know if there's a specific reason for doing this... but what I do know is my hate for seaming things.

So I found a pattern that seemed like it could easily be modified into the round, and my husband still liked...which was actually easier than I thought!lol

this one..right here.

I like that it's a 4x2 ribbing, easy to turn into a "in the round" project, and easy to zone out and watch tv while knitting, haha. I also like that it still has an intricate cable, like my husband wanted, but without having to cable for the entire sweater... I'm still pretty new to cabling, and while I enjoy it, and it's not that difficult, it can be easy to lose your place if you're not paying close attention.

Anyway, the pattern should be really easy to modify. Just knit in the round until the armpit decreases, then split off onto two needles and work just the front, then just the back. Very similar to how I split off the front and back of the first soaker I knit for Faith. Easy peasy :)

I want to have this sweater finished by the time Matt get's his R&R...which we're not sure when that's going to be, but he requested February, so that's my hope... it gives me time to do all of my Christmas knitting, which I'm going to be starting on next month. I'm really excited for those! I have small projects planned for Matthew, and for each of the kids, as well as for some of my other family members :)

Anyways, at first my progress was going kind of slow... I pretty much took a week off of knitting over all, and only knit a little bit here and there, so it took me a full week to get through the first ball of yarn

I picked up the progress a little though(if I kept up the 1 ball a week pace it would never be finished on time!) and now it's been about 3 days since I started on the 2nd ball and I'll probably finish it later today.

Which is a much better pace if you ask me!

And there you have it. My first large scale project! I'm pretty excited...but nervous at the same time... I already made one mistake, and although fixable... I'm worried that I'm going to make some huge mistake towards the end of the body and not be able to fix it! Well... hears hoping that doesn't happen :p